Monday, May 11, 2009

Would YOU call your restaurant HIPPO??

well, they did! They went ahead and called it the Hippopotamus... I confess I was starving, and disappointed when my husband picked it, conceding ONLY because he had walked us all over the city for the elusive tri wheeled cart, and disappointed.... Because it is a chain restaurant... I have seen others in the city. Perhaps it is just a local franchise, I do not know.. but I generally prefer the local owned operated quaint little place over the big named whose who in town. That said... The prices were NICE, the food was wonderful!


At Hippo, they KNEW how too cook a piece of meat, and a nice piece it was too! Excellent cut, I choose the shallot sauce while my husband chose a Bearnaise.. He enjoyed his, and I rather enjoyed MINE :)

I also just HAD to do it! I ordered RATATOUILLE!!! yes I did! (mostly because I have small children who saw the cartoon movie back on our Bostonian Adventures, watching it again and again, loving it terribly, while it disturbed me GREATLY to even consider a Rat in a Kitchen... Ratatouille has nothing what so ever to do with Rats :) it is a delightful medley of squashes, potatoes, tomato's herbs all in a tomato base, it is simply ... DELICIOUS!!!
Ever the gambler, and having done well with my steak, my sauce, my ratatouille, I thought to be adventurous with my dessert as well. My Man Rob stuck with the tried and true Ben and Jerry's offered on the Menu, but me... NOT me, i tried THIS... what this is... I DO NOT KNOW.. It looked so pretty on the menu... What it is NOT, is good. It is NOT pudding or custard or flan on the bottom, but actual yellow liquid.......yes liquid, that makes you think awful things... The White is NOT cream, it is Egg White, unflavored, unsweetened, hard whipped egg white. The brown drizzly stuff is not Carmel... no, it is some kind of liqueur... It was icky... my daughter loved it!
This is my coffee It is tiny, it is french, it is served with two cubes sugar on piece of chocolate. It was wonderful!
Over all I give this restaurant a Delicious approval!!!!!!!!!!! Choose desserts with caution, children's menu was most affordable even offering chicken nuggets, very odd in France! :) Each child was given dessert with their meal, and a very fun balloon!
HURRAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Best surprise was the Ratatouille, now I NEED to find a recipe, so if YOU have one, email me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! or leave it in the comment box! I WILL try it and put it on my blog :)





1 comment:

Teri said...

I have a great ratatouille recipe! I will find it and send it to you.

I didn't like the movie either, the thousands of rats scurrying is icky.