Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Mexican for Mother's day :) Mexico Lindo :)

I have a passion for the Mexican Cuisine, I just do... I make no apology for it. I love the spice, the simple use of ingredients. I love the traditional ingredients, and authentic blending of Spanish and Native Central American Indian Tribes, which brought about this amazing food.. Finding such a treat in Lyon has proved difficult. My pals on Facebook can attest to my bemoaning the fact that I ate British food on Cinco de Mayo... utterly depressing! But ever the blogger I researched, and heard about a little place right here in Vieux Lyon!
So good was this little gem, rumor had it you need reservations JUST to get in... or so the legend goes.. but Sunday afternoon, we googled the location and moseyed on by... It was closed, but we rather wanted to scope out the menu... In France like in many places, the Menu is shown on display outside the restaurant... THIS is most helpful, because while the atmosphere may in fact LOOK most appealing to you, the menu may NOT... or even.. let us be honest, the price may not be right :)
So while looking at the Menu, the owners came out, YES the Chef too, and we asked them the hours, and were told to come that evening about 7:30 when they opened... The ladies were lovely! So friendly and welcoming, and they both spoke English! They WERE Mexican, and came to France, one for love, one with her brother to study Culinary Arts... all three owners... siblings :)
Well, we came back alright! How could we not, with such a warm welcoming!
Below is our appetizer!
Much like nachos that is NOT sour cream... It is however some blend of Creme Fraiche... The cheeses are blends and not all familiar, but quite tasty and delicious!

Here is my salad!
It was wonderful, though feta cheese and Mexican have never crossed my mind before,
I found the mix of cultures very nice!
A little Hispanic/French blend...
Those are not french fries but fried tortillas on top!
A light vinaigrette, peppers, corn, this salad was a nice surprise!
Here is my Enchilada Suiza with tomatillo sauce ....
I found it very good, but well, a bit disappointing...
While it for me, is a comfort food, the cheese was a bit too french, and a bit too much...
yet that was an easy fix, just pull some off....
The only real bummer was this dish had no KICK...
Where o where was the spicy kick that to me IS Mexican food?
again this meal was good, but I think, especially after those delicious nachos...
that it really COULD have been more flavorful...
Yeah!!!!!!!!!!! Re fried beans! They are a HOT commodity here in Lyon,
and these really HIT the spot, not to dry, and not lacking flavor!
Served with tortillas that HAD it all!
Light, airy, with JUST the right amount of salt.... Excellent side!
but...
what is with the rice...
is it me, or is that rice WHITE????
that does not look like Spanish rice to me...
This restaurant also did not have any kind of "Menu Enfant" or Children's Menu...
But the wonderful Julia who is one of the owners came up with this fantastic idea!
It's a bit like a quesadilla with no cheese ! (our guy has issues with cheese)
It was delicious and HE LOVED it!
I was so impressed at how friendly the owners were, and the waiter,
how QUICK they were to accommodate, and how great this worked out for our little guy!
Our bigger kids ordered the adult burrito grande and asked to split it.
In many places this is frowned upon, and frankly I DON'T CARE... If you are rude enough to NOT consider children, LET their parents have the option of splitting a meal for them :)
Well, here at Mexico Lindo,
they not only split the Burrito
they made EACH child a plate of their own!
Each plate arrived looking like it WAS their very own plate,
each child had their own sides,
their own salad the whole SHEBANG! :)
They really showed respect for the children and the kids really appreciated it!
BIG hurray for Mexico Lindo!!!!!
Yes this is the Chocolate dessert ordered by my littlest blessing... it was amazing!!
He was gracious enough to share,
but YOU paid for that amazing flavor, let me tell you, you paid a WHOLE LOT for that little piece..
now, he would tell you
it was WORTH IT !!
This piece came with my dinner, as I ordered the menu...
Here in France you can order a menu, or order Ala carte...
When ordering a Menu you are given the option of an appetiser/salad/or soup ,
then you can choose a main course with a side,
often then there is a fromage (a cheese dish to clear your palate but not always)
and then dessert..
With each you have options ...
I chose Menu, everyone else chose Ala cart...
I am enjoying the BEST Blueberry PIE EVER guilt free!!!

Just thought you might like a CLOSER look, at the color, the juiciness, the perfect crust!!!!
YES it was THAT good!
My blessing of a daughter chose THIS beautiful APPLE TART,
which was also quite delicious!!!
I love these, the simplicity of them, they are just....
elegant, timeless, not to fancy, but MORE than fancy enough!
There can be NO occasion too grand that this dessert is not welcome :)
wish this wasn't fuzzy, but I have to say,
the collection of art, & Mexican plates was simply wonderful!
Mexico Lindo was warm, welcoming !
A Place you would want to come back to again and again.
If you aren't super hip, like us,
we are NOT hip,
and you do NOT need to only go out on Fridays and Saturdays,
the wonderful little secret about this gem is Sundays are slower :)
You are sure to get a seat...
Is it PURELY authentic?
Well they ARE Mexican...
and they studied in France...
I think they have made SOME lets say.. adjustments
for the sake of their French clientele....
and I think that is OK...
I think we have to remember who we are
which they have done...
and WHERE we are at...
and they are doing that too !
I still miss the KICK...
but hey!
they were so friendly, I think NEXT time,
I will ask if they can spice it up for me...
and I don't think ANY one in the kitchen will be insulted,
I think they'll think its fun!
HUGE YES for Mexico Lindo,
Family Friendly,
great atmosphere,
good for a romantic night,
or night out with friends!
Super location, excellent service...
is there room for improvement?
sure but when isn't there?
This place is GREAT,
and
It has more than potential, it has Personality!!

1 comment:

Cole said...

Delicious,my burrito was Delicious,I want to go back!:)