Saturday, January 9, 2010

grocery store...

I used to love the grocery store..
My grocer plays romantic big band tunes...
so you can walk through the isles singing Sinatra...

But now all I find my self doing...
Is singing LOVE songs to Chavre Cheese
Farmers Cheese
Sharp Cheddar
and various Yogurts...

Yes Kefir got a whole chorus...
and my eyes welled up by the deli counter,
I had to leave the family to order the sausages
with out me...
the deli guy looked hurt..
We always had such a nice relationship before...

The cracker Isle broke me up,
and then..
I got hopeful
and rushed over to the "flour isle" and looked
for..
ALMOND flour..
after quite the search I found a puny little bag..
so tiny..
it MIGHT have made 1 cup...
and I was near bursting into tears when I saw the price..
$12.89
SHOCK!!!
I stumbled back..
almost knocking into someone...
rush forward...
could it be?
yes...
there it was..
$12.89
I grabbed the cute little girl that IS my daughter...
and we rushed to the nut isle...
looking for blanched almonds...
a tiny handful...
(ok my husbands BIG hand)
was $5
two containers MIGHT have made
1/2 a cup...

SERIOUSLY  !!!!!!!!!!!
I hope I win Elana's BIG Giveaway!
and now I know...
I'll be having to order my almond flour ONline...
bummer..

so today..
the grocery store was NOT
the culinary delight it usually is..
it was sad and depressing.
because...
I am in love
desperately
in love
with really good food...
with excellent cheeses...
superbly fresh organic produce
(much of which is not on my list yet)
wonderful imported delicatessens
I love the way food tastes
the way the flavors burst in my mouth
the aroma of a dish
the art of cooking
and of preparing
and of displaying
I love texture and color...
to me..
FOOD is another Medium for with which I might create
and I feel
forlorn
....
but..
melons and greens were bought..
so ...
hopefully today
a green smoothie
will be made!

that might cheer me up...
:)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Dear One. You sound like my daughter. She is working through this shopping/prepping/creating/eating dilemma and sharing with whoever checks her out at: www.affairsofliving.com

Thank goodness for finding each other on the internet to help trudge through this matter together.

Be Well.

Shar

sweetnika said...

Shar,
THANK you ever so much, simply for stopping BY my little corner of the cyber world... but that you would share valuable information lile your daughters blog.. THANK you dear..!
It is such a blessing to NOT "got it alone" if you know what I mean..
:) youre a blessing
stop by again!