Friday, December 18, 2009

wow .... YES I said WOW

so it's been a half a year... and a lot has happened... in my culinary world... a WHOLE lot...
a WHOLE lot more whole foods...
a WHOLE lot of adjusting to cooking in the US once again...

Todays recipe.... let me fIRST apologize for no photo...
It's a photo thing...
and it's a... already ate it up thing...

Todays recipe NEEDS a nam... so for now.. it's WOW...
suggestions welcomed

1 can Eden Aduki beans drained
1 bunch green onions rinsed well and chopped fine
1 bunch flat leafed parsley washed rinsed well and chopped fine
1/2 bunch (a nice handful) of Cilantro washed and rinsed well and chopped fine
a bit of fresh mint chopped fine
 (I have a nice curved chopping board and put all my herbs in this chopping them together...)
Tumeric
Cumin
Paprika ( I prefer Hot... but because of the little children in my home having STRONG objections... plain)
4 cloves garlic pressed
Ginger (fresh if you have it... but I didn't so I used ground)
Sea Salt (or Kosher !)
Freshly Ground Pepper
2 cups Long grained Rice
Olive Oil
5 cups Water... (I like cold filtered)
Jimmy Dean Sage Sausage ( you can substitute this for another if you don't DO pork, we like the flavor of the SAGE)

Brown the SAGE Sausage and REALLY cook it good, let it sit out on paper towel to absorb the fat when done and set aside...
Do all your chopping!  set aside...

Rice.. Rince your rice under cold water till clear.. Shake it to be certain... this is important... Next shake it to get some of the excess water OUT.... Now in a nice sized pan that has a fitting lid, add enough olive Oil to cover the bottom... heat it up till hot and then add your rice... stir stir stir... keep this up you want to crisp it up a bit... Add the green onions...They will turn a brilliant green.... Stir stir stir...

Add the Beans... Stir Stir Stir.. Do NOT have your flame up too high... but not to low.. a nice med-med/high... add your garlic and ginger... stir stir stir.. it should smell AMAZING ... add some Tumeric, not too much, but don't be stingy... just try it out...

HOW MUCH... I don't know... It was my first time.. I just .... sprinkled... till it was a pretty color...
Add some cumin too... It won't taste Mexican I promise... It will taste so different I promise!  Keep stirring this up as you are adding in the seasonings.. add some paprika, and plenty of Sea Salt !  also Pepper, remember the list, add a little and stir, add a little more and stir...
when it smells simply WOW (and it will...) add the herbs, and stir, add the meat and stir... right about now the GREEN from the herbs will almost glow with the tumeric... and you'll wonder if I am NUTZO... but I am not :)

Add 5 cups Water... (you could add broth.. I didn't.. and it tasted amazing.. I bet broth would taste even better, but remember if you use a broth with lots of salt, don't add as much during the seasoning phase)
Bring to a boil... Reduce to simmer and cover...
Cook like you would Rice.. but remember you don't want it dry... I think it took about 20 minutes. I left a bit of moisture in.. I just wanted the rice DONE.. and I stirred it all up before I presented it to the family...

The were scared... but they tried it..
and everyone said...
WOW...
they ate a ton
and all asked for the left overs for lunch...
there is NO more for me to show you...
Bon Appetite :)

No comments: